Banner4.jpg

Navigation

Local Weather

Partly cloudy

1°C

Sponsors

Banner

Facebook

Headwinds Cycling Club
2015 AGM Minutes

Headwinds Annual General Meeting Feb. 28th, 2015

Executive Present: Kevin, Vanya, Derek, Vitaly, Dawn

Members Present: 7

Call to Order: 5:10

President’s Report

  • Kevin introduced the executive and thanked the members for coming.
  • Reported that there are 56 members; which is close to last year’s total of 54.
  • The memberships will be going up on Carelo to the Headwinds website asap
  • Gave thanks to all sponsors from last year
  • Gave thanks to executive members for their contributions
  • The bike swap in Lethbridge seemed to be a great success, with good turnout
  • Bike Fest, held at Father Leonard Van Tigham School was well received; the kids who attended came away with good bike safety and learned bike skills
  • Chief Mtn/Border ride and BBQ was very well attended and well-liked; good reviews from everyone
  • Cardston to Lethbridge ride was also carried out
  • Magrath/Del Bonita ride was rained out the first time, but rescheduled and held
  • Introduction of ice cream rides very well received, and well attended by families
  • Spin Classes are now being held with special rates for members (thank you to Kelly Dinsmore)
  • Social Rides (Monday nights) were averaging about 10 people
  • Thursday night training rides averaged 1-2 people; thank you to Scott for organizing and continuing to try to keep this up
  • Thursday night mountain bike rides were not well attended, unfortunately
  • Swag was usually given out at the Monday night social rides
  • All members were given t-shirts and Road IDs with membership; all were (hopefully) handed out to those who joined
    • Thanks to the executive member who stood in the rain at the Tour of Alberta to get the Headwinds Jerseys signed; one was signed by the stage winner and a few team members signed the others
  • We started with a decent amount of money in the bank
  • We did spend more money this year than was brought in, as a result of trying to resurrect the Club and get it up and running
  • As a Club we are dedicated to supporting organized events
  • We sponsored t-shirts and Road IDs for members last year; this year we will offer t-shirts but not free Road IDs – if members want them we can facilitate ordering them, but they won’t be free to members
  • We would invite the members to offer ideas for rides and events
  • At the time of this meeting we have a balance of $9500
  • Sponsorship is always a big help in any event
  • Membership for a single is $50.00, $40 of which goes to ABA to cover insurance; we are looking at $90-95 for a couple or family, and $35 for children
  • The membership fees etc should go up on the website soon
  • Membership will still get you discounts at local vendors
  • Cards will be mailed out
  • Email is our main communication device; please check yours
  • Discussion as to whether emailing membership cards to people to print out on their own is an option
  • It was not run this (past) year under this executive
  • We lost income by not running it
  • We will try to help this year; it will be held on the 3rd weekend in May
  • This event generates income for the Club; but there is still expense to be paid out as well
  • Bert and Macs ran it last year, and wants to partner with the Headwinds this year
  • Can we make it a Bike Fest weekend? This is weather dependent
  • Someone from the Headwinds is needed in a co-directorship position
  • Need someone to also take on the Bike Fest portion; organize kids’ events, Safety City, and other family events
  • As a racing club it will cost ($$) , and benefit ($$, being seen) us to be involved this year
  • There will be an ABA sanctioned kids’ race
  • We will be splitting costs and profits equally with Bert and Macs
  • The first 50 people registered covers costs up front, making this a profitable event
  • The estimated profit for each partner is about $4500.00
  • We need to have enough Headwinds members commit to making it happen
  • Start will tentatively be held at the College
  • Bert and Macs contact: Ryan Simpson
  • Suggested committee to organize, and a volunteer coordinator from Headwinds
  • Could use a group that does “trail work”; see events
  • Derek, Kevin, Scott, Kevin, Ryan, Jordan to organize and send out emails as to what Headwinds needs, to membership to call for volunteers
  • Sponsors can set up booths – need to talk to businesses about sponsoring
  • Money/swag donated for t-shirts, prizes, etc
  • Co-coordinated event between Headwinds and Bert and Macs

Highlights from the past Year

 

Treasurer’s Report

 

Coulee Cruiser

 

 

Inventory Update

  • We are currently renting a storage unit, which contains race stuff – pylons, stakes, walkie talkies, etc.
  • There is also leftover swag from bike shops, Headwinds clothing and equipment, the 3 signed jerseys from the ToA, two bike boxes for members’ use
  • Everything in the storage unit is available for members’ use and races
  • We are considering rebranding jerseys in the future; it might be prudent to liquidate the ones we have
  • Steve made a motion to give away old kit from storage; Vanya seconded, and all were in favour
  • It was mentioned that you cannot race in an old kit; it is not permissible in official races. Must have the new kit to race officially
  • We will give away old kit at events
  • Discussion followed as to whether we keep the storage shed; it was decided it is viable to keep the storage shed for holding race equipment this year
  • Monday night rides will continue at 6:30pm
  • Scott’s “Windy” Thursday Training rides leave from the south side at 6pm
  • We will move Monday night rides to 6pm starting in September to save daylight
  • One time waivers will need to be signed for one time rides if someone comes out to “try” a ride; otherwise you need to be a member of the Club to be covered under our insurance
  • Vitaly (or other ride leader) will bring the waivers to each ride
  • We won’t turn people away; however we need to be cognizant of keeping our butts covered
  • We need to be more diligent in encouraging people to NOT ride with headphones while on Club rides
  • Discussion on keeping Thursday night MTB rides, or move to Wednesday nights. The membership is more road bike oriented; we could add another social ride for road bike interests.
  • Discussion to organize weekend rides; or just send out an email to get 3-5 people together for MTB focus
  • There should be emphasis on more communication of events and rides
  • It was decided to ad-lib MTB rides through the year instead of trying to schedule
  • We will also try to organize a Sat/Sun ride (road), perhaps with Alpenland assisting
  • “Trail Maintenance” for Coulee Cruiser and just as a courtesy can be set up for MTB rides/riders

 

Weekly Cycling Events

Scheduled Events

  • Ice Cream Rides: Every 4th weekend in June, July, and August; a hot chocolate ride at the 4th weekend in September
  • Chief Mountain Ride: 2nd weekend in June
  • Del Bonita: end of season – 3rd weekend in August
  • Cardston to Lethbridge (Ron Renwick): need to organize someone to drive out, or a bike trailer, etc. No date set
  • Other rides are open to suggestions from members
  • We can check with border crossings as to requirements
  • Rides will be put up on website and open to people for registration to gauge numbers
  • Set up “trail maintenance” rides

 

Jerseys and Kit

  • Ordered through Pactimo again
  • We have to commit to $1000 before they will print
  • We have chosen to go for a mid-level style (not pro series, not touring)
  • 25 jerseys will get us to the commitment
  • 5-6 different kit items can be looked at (jerseys, bib shorts, jackets, etc)
  • Kit can be part of membership sign up; there will be a separate registration form for ordering jerseys
  • We will leave the bike shop sponsorships on; additional sponsors can buy space for $300
  • Discussion as to “what do we do for sponsors?”
  • This will depend on the type of business they are
  • For example, for the Penny Coffee House, we can organize a ride to start/end there and encourage people to buy coffee/food pre- and post-ride. Same for Good Earth or Mojos
  • Vitaly will put information about Spin classes on the website
  • Derek motioned to frame signed jerseys and put in bike shops; Vitaly seconded; all in favour and carried.
  • We will include a plaque that acknowledges their partnership over the years

Sponsors

Other Business

 

Meeting Adjourned: 6:40

 
AGM 2015
Fellow members!

Please join us for the Headwinds Cycling Club Annual General Meeting

Saturday, February 28, 5pm at the Lethbridge Senior Citizens Organization
500-11 Street South, Lethbridge

 

Pizza will be served.
 
Details and ideas for the upcoming years events will be discussed.  
We are always seeking additional executive members.  Please let us know if you are interested.
Agenda to follow.
See you there!
 
August rides

Hi, everyone!


As for August we havea couple of rides coming up!

We are planning on a road ride from Magrath to Del Bonita on Aug 17. We will try to provide a sag wagon as we did for the Waterton ride. The meeting spot is at Safeway at 0815 and the plan is to ride out of Magrath around 0900. Please RSVP if you will be riding and if you are able and willing to carpool to Magrath.

Total distance will add up to ~96km.

 

We are also having another ice-cream ride on Aug 24. As the last time - the ride is slow paced and ids are more than welcome! Just show up at 10:00 am at the Nicholas Sheran parking lot and enjoy a Sunday stroll through the park with a Dairy Queen visit afterwards!

 

An e-mail was sent out to everyone as well.

 

Hope to see you out on the rides!

 

Cheers!

 

 

Last Updated on Monday, 11 August 2014 18:47
 
Sunday Ice-Cream Ride

993icecream cone

Hello, fellow members! Headwinds is having an ice-cream ride this Sunday, July 13. The ride is slow paced and kids are more than welcome. Meeting point will be at the Nicholas Sheran School parking lot 10:00 AM. A visit to Dairy Queen after the ride will take care of the ice-cream. No need to RSVP - just show up!

Last Updated on Thursday, 10 July 2014 15:27
 
Lethbridge to Waterton Ride

 

waterton pano

Hello, fellow Headwinders!

We have another ride coming up organized by Ron and Rosemarie Renwick. In order to determine the attendance for this event, please read the outlined plan and RSVP by sending an e-mail to us (via the communiaction link on the left). So the timeline is as follows:

Sat, July 12 cycle from Lethbridge to Lee Creek campground, Cardston. Camp.

Sun, July 13 cycle from Cardston to Waterton via Chief Mountain or directly from Cardston. Camp.

Mon, July14 cycle to Cardston. Camp.

Tues, July 15 cycle to Lethbridge.

We will drive our truck as sag if members are wanting to participate but don't have touring gear.

There is the option to cycle back to Lethbridge on Sun ( or Mon if there is a tailwind) if it is not convenient to cycle Mon & Tues.

If there is interest we will provide more details to participants. We would also welcome any suggestions for future tours.

Drafting off RVs will be frowned on.

Please let us know ASAP as the dates are getting close.

Thanks,

 

Last Updated on Tuesday, 24 June 2014 18:51
 


Page 1 of 3