Gran fondos are mass participation cycling events that have enjoyed incredible popularity in Europe for decades and are gaining momentum in North America.
Loosely translated from Italian, gran fondo means "big ride". These rides are often a hundred kilometres or more and designed for a large number of cyclists at a variety of skill levels - everyone from the competitive cyclist to the amateur enjoy these events. The rides are judged by the challenges they offer: steep climbs, long distances and a combination of the two. While these are not races, top finishers are often recognized.
1. The Gran Fondo Kootenai happens on July 6-7 just south of Yaak, BC in Libby, Montana. Kruise the KooCanUsa! Climp the Cabinets! Attack the Yaak! For full details go to http://gfkootenai.com
2. The Gran Fondo Highwood Pass happens on July 13, 2013 and it starts in Longview, AB. For full details go to http://transrockies.com/gran-fondo-highwood-pass/
3. The Gran fondo Rockies happens on August 10, 2013 and begins in Nanton, AB. Full details go to http://www.granfondorockies.ca/travel.php
4. The RBC Gran Fondo Banff happens on August 24, 2013 and begins in, wait for it... Banff. For details go to http://banff.granfondocanada.com
5. The RBC Gran Fondo Whistler happens on September 7, 2013 in Whistler, BC. For details go to http://www.rbcgranfondowhistler.com
6. The Sunrise Rotary 1st Annual Kootenay Rockies Gran Fondo scheduled for Sunday, September 8, 2013 and starts in Cranbrook, BC. For full details go to the web site at www.krgf.ca.